Just thought I would share instructions for sewing up simple skirts for your girls without needing a pattern. A good friend told me how to do this.
1. Pre-wash material, dry and iron.
2. Measure hips at widest point – hip measurement plus 6" divide by 4 – this is what the top measurement of the skirt will be.
3. Decide on length of skirt and subtract how much you want for ruffle.
4. Fold material as needed to obtain 2 pieces as follows – for my girls I just folded the material in half, since it is corduroy both pieces needed to go the same way, so I couldn’t fit two skirt pieces across. (one going up and the other down) Some material is wide enough to do so. With this skirt piece the top measurement is 8 1/2" and bottom is 13". You can make it however full you would like it to be. As you can see the one corner is rounded just a bit. For this skirt – length is 20" and ruffle is 10". We like the wider ruffle. One side of skirt is along the fold and the other is the cut edge.
5. Cut 2 ruffle pieces 1 1/2 times the measurement of skirt. These were full wideth of material.
6. Cut 3 1/4" waistband, fold in half and iron. Again full wideth of material, just cut off excess after sewn onto skirt.
A pic of all the pieces
7. Sew a narrow hem on ruffle pieces.
8. Sew two rows of gathering stitches on top of ruffle or use your gathering attachment on serger. I just was recently given one of those (gathering attachment) and do I ever like it!
9. Gather and attach ruffle to bottom of skirt.
10. Sew up one side seam.
11.Attach waistband to top of skirt to form casing for elastic.
12. Cut elastic 2" less than waist measurement, thread elastic through casing and secure at ends.
13. Sew up last seam and you are all done!
P.s This is a different skirt than the one above. Haven’t sewn up that one yet. Hope to do that tomorrow. You can also make the skirt without a ruffle, just make your skirt length longer.
Please ask any questions if you have any.